Unexpectedly, I was given an extra long weekend with a span of 4 days. Not that I've been overindulging on Californian wines, but rather given the boot by my chef. I came down with fever and flu and was barred from the kitchen due to my contagious status.
It was pretty sad because I was going to bake rosemary buns, cheddar onion bars and tomato buns that afternoon. Still, I spent the day sleeping in, trying to recuperate before George's 50th birthday celebration on Saturday.
We had a lovely afternoon, munching down burgers at Taylor's Refresher (an iconic St Helena upscale diner). I also met up with long-time friends, Linda Tennant and Utta Jansen :) both ladies whom I've known 5 years back!
Linda, wife of Nik Tennant from Austria, is ever vivacious and lively! She's always a joy to be with and fun! You should have seen her stopping the traffic in downtown Saint Helena with both her legs and arms, so that Gretchen could drive through!
Utta and Gebhard Jansen (Linda's parents). Gebhard is my sister's idol and she thinks that he is the most gorgeous man alive!
Charming Utta, who is Linda's mother (a dear German friend who stayed in Singapore last year), and her sister-in-law Heika also came. As I was missing home, seeing Utta reminded me of my mum :) I love her company always, with her sweet, quiet nature.
Joachim and Heika Jansen (Joachim is Gebhard's brother)
During the day, we went wine tasting but my most memorable part was not the crisp white wine but rather, BONNY and BONNE :)
2 beautiful vintage Pontiacs owned by George and taken out for a spin in the Valley. The 2 cars certainly drew more attention than the several pretty ladies inside :) Linda didn't need to do much to stop the traffic because the cars themselves were the highlight on the tiny streets of Saint Helena.
With our colourful scarves bundled over our heads, we did look like 60s American girls giggling our way through the wine country as depicted in vintage Cadillac posters.
It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to sit in one of these! Like Utta said, my brother will be so jealous!
The dinner party was at the Merryvale Cellar Room where we had a simple, yet enjoyable time. No big "Yum-seng" elaborations but rather, the elegance of intimate conversations coupled with delicious spread of Italian food. Something that I truly like, rather than typical boring Chinese wedding dinners.
Nik, Gebhard and Joachim gave a toast to George and presented a birthday present on behalf of the Dream team, which also includes my dad and my uncle. The Dream Team was formed 5 years ago in Germany, where Gebhard and Joachim's tyre company will hold a biannual international golf tournament for their business associates. Naturally, my dad has to join in, given his fanaticism for Golf.
Nik also give a hilarious short speech of a typical conservation held by the Dream Team whenever they meet to golf in Singapore, USA or Europe. I couldn't stop laughing when Nik mentioned a characteristic trait of my dad during the speech :) "$100 per stroke also don't care. Just play!"
From Singapore, I was the sole representative of my family as my dear sister couldn't make it in time for the party.
The Dream Team - with their respective ages :) I sure 10 years down the road, they will still be lugging their golf bags across the course, though my dad will be on the buggy (he's totally attached to it, which spells his expanding waistline).
Being in a winery, dinner was also accompanied by 5 different wines, though my natural favourite is the Antigua dessert wine (I really can taste the nutty flavour!)
With a budding pastry chef at the table, dessert was definitely the most scrutinized. However, I didn't really expect anything nice from Tra Vigne (Italian desserts ? ... hmmm....). The Devil's Chocolate Cake had an extremely thick and unpalatable butter frosting and couldn't be saved by the scoop of plain Vanilla ice cream.
Birthday boy, George, and Gretchen
Still, I had a wonderful night out (after being cooped in my room for days) and meeting Utta and the rest, was like meeting my family :)
I miss home and now, praying that I'll recover in time for class tomorrow. Fever's not subsiding but I'm just enjoying a good read in bed :)
Utta and Me
No comments:
Post a Comment