Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Sweet Harvest


It's Harvest Time!

This weeks marks the start of a new course called Confectionery Arts and Weddings Cakes. In short, it refers to the decoration of cakes - special occasions, weddings. you name it, we'll make it!

Initially, I was really excited about the course but as the week began, I realised that decorating cakes isn't really my forte or interest. I lack imagination, creativity and patience to pipe all those buttercream on the cake. Going through classes was a bit of a drag :P

Still, I will try to learn as much as I can because weddings cakes are of increasing demand these days and haha, I also have a "client" waiting for me when I get back :)


Bride-to-be Kelly :)

As part of my project in school, I've been assigned in advance to design and make a wedding cake for my dear buddy, Kelly. Hopefully, it will work! :)

Today's Day 2 and my very first time decorating cakes and handling marzipan - sweetened (overly sweet) almond paste commonly used to shape figurines for decoration or as cute snacks.

Each of us is suppose to enrobe a fake cake with rolled marzipan, make a border, decorate it and make a plaque for inscription. I sighed hardly because I really had no cake experience as compared to some of my veteran classmates.

Still, I tried my best and as I rolled and shaped the marzipan, I gained momentum and speed :) haha kind of like driving.


Boxes of Brooke Cherries at Berkeley's Farmers' Market


It's Peach Season!

Being inspired by Spring's offering of fresh fruits :) I eat cherries and strawberries daily! I finally made "Sweet Harvest"


I hope you'll like Sweet Harvest as much as I do :) I love it!!!


Each Cherry is hand-rolled, dusted with luster dust and topped with a handmade stem :) I tried to make it look as real as possible.


Check out the Basket Weave with little hearts - reminds me of Care Bears :)

Here are some of the works of my classmates:

Jennifer's Cowboy Cake


Skater Boy Brian's


KC's Stars


T's Fraises (French for Strawberries)


Angela's Happy Birthday


Ashley's Busy Bee Daisy

Hope that you have enjoyed the cakes :) It's Time to eat those plum cherries!

No comments: