Monday, August 20, 2007

Japan Hour

For our previous module on "Contemporary Desserts and Cakes", we received quite an interesting and exciting practical exam assignment - creating a contemporary cake based on a theme.

Now, my classmates aren't alcoholics and booze is not our game :) though everyone just loves the idea of "Happy Hour". So "Happy Hour" officially became Section 50's theme for both the practical and the graduation dinner!

Personally, I view "Happy Hour" as part of a typical Japanese drinking culture (I don't know but just think that it's so Japanese). Inspired by my favourite Kuriya Restaurant's "Happy Hour", when they serve sake, choya and other liqueurs paired with their delectable Japanese cuisine, I decided to make a cake called "Japan Hour"


The Japan Hour

:)

Choya, the famous sweet Japanese plum wine, is my chosen liqueur in the cake.


Japan Hour has:
- a crunchy Feuilletine and Milk Chocolate base
- lined with bittersweet Chocolate Ganache
- filled with an Apricot Mousse and poached Elephant Heart Plums (look at the intensity of the colour of the plums!)
- a delicate Green Tea Chiffon layer (given thumbs up by Chef!)
- a creamy Green Tea Creme Brulee
- a Pierre Herme-inspired Apricot-Yuzu Compote
- topped with a light Choya Mousse
- sealed with a shiny Milk Chocolate Glaze
- decorated with Orange Macarons & Apricot Candy


And of course, my cake must be decorated with my beloved friends - Macarons! These are Orange flavoured Macarons, dotted around the cake. I love the colourful layers!

I praise my Lord for all the ideas in my mind, that brought forth the creation of this cake!

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2: 10

And because Christ is in me, I am more than a conqueror! :) And because of Him, Chef really enjoyed my cake! He liked the combination of flavours and I was so happy to hear his good review (he has really high taste and a little tough to impress)!

Personally, I love this cake! There are a couple of boo-boos to be amended & I need to improve on the outlook appearance but other than that, I think it is very delicious :) I love green tea and how the tangy apricot and yuzu pairs extremely well with the green tea and Choya :) Yuppies! Besides, the Macarons alone make my day!

Japan Hour is my first official Creation :) and it is dedicated to Jesus because He is my Creator! I'm proud to call it mine!

Copyright, copyright, copyright :)


Choya and a slice of Japan Hour

No comments: